If you’re about to invest in a cooling equipment upgrade, we have some concepts and terms that may benefit your search.
- SEER, or seasonal energy efficiency ratio: This is a way to gauge how efficiently an air conditioner performs over the duration of a cooling season. Units with SEER ratings between 16 and 23 achieve the best fuel use.
- EER, or energy efficiency ratio: Another efficiency estimator, which compares the rate at which an air conditioner uses fuel to the rate at which it creates cool energy.
- Cooling load: The amount of warm energy that gathers in your home when you don’t have a cooling system running. Your cooling load determines how much energy is required to cool your space down and keep you comfortable. It is influenced by many things, like how much energy is lost through leaky ductwork, how much insulation you have, and the size of your home.
- Cooling capacity: How much heat an air conditioner can extract from a space in the span of an hour. An upgrade should have a cooling capacity that is directly proportionate to your home’s unique cooling load.
- BTU, or British thermal unit: A unit of energy that expresses an air conditioner’s cooling capacity.
- Heat transfer: The method an air conditioner uses to transfer heat away from a certain space. During heat transfer, warm indoor air comes into contact with the evaporator coil, containing refrigerant. The refrigerant absorbs the heat. As it travels through the system, the refrigerant releases the heat in the outdoor condenser coil. Thus, heat is transferred from inside your home to outside.
- Relative humidity: Air holds more or less moisture depending on its temperature. Warm air can sustain more moisture, which is why northwest Arkansas summers can be uncomfortable. Relative humidity refers to the actual moisture content of the air at a given temperature.
If you would like to learn more about your cooling equipment upgrade, call Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal. We will make finding a new comfort system a comfortable experience.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about cooling equipment upgrades and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal services Northwest Arkansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!