Some parts of the country have already seen their first snowfall, which means winter is not far off for the rest of us. Here are a few areas where you can conduct checks and make fixes that will get your heating system and other equipment ready for harsh weather.
These steps will ensure increased energy savings throughout the entire season:
- Furnace: Probably the most important piece of winter equipment you have. Clean or change the filter to improve fuel efficiency and furnace performance. Schedule a professional preseason maintenance inspection to check the safety and reliability of furnace components such as thermostats, burners and blowers.
- Roof and gutters: Look for holes, gaps or cracks in your roof where you can lose heat energy and, by extension, money. Check for damaged or missing shingles and replace as needed. Clean the roof and gutters and make sure down spouts and drainage pipes are free of blockages.
- Doors and windows: Seal holes or gaps around door frames, window frames and glass panes with silicone caulking or other sealant. Apply weatherstripping or foam insulation around the edges of doors and windows to seal gaps where cold air can get in.
- Pipes and ducts: Check your heating system ductwork to make sure there is enough insulation and the insulation is still in place. Make sure ductwork in unconditioned spaces such as attics, basements, and walls are thoroughly insulated. Seal joints, connections and elbows in ductwork with metal tape or mastic. Insulate plumping pipes to reduce energy loss and prevent freezing.
- Insulation: Check insulation levels in the attic, walls and basement. Replace damaged or missing insulation and add more insulation where needed.
Contact Paschal, Heat, Air & Geothermal today for information on winter energy savings. We have been serving customers in northwest Arkansas and the surrounding communities for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal services Northwest Arkansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!