When you use a programmable thermostat to control your heating or cooling system, you gain the ability to precisely manage when and at what level your furnace, air conditioner or heat pump operates. This saves money on your year-round utility bills by running your temperature control system only when you need it. Here are some ideal programmable thermostat practices you can use to make the best use of this device.
- Use preprogrammed set points: Programmable thermostats come with several preprogrammed set points. These are designed to save you money by keeping your home at controlled temperature levels during certain parts of the day, such as when everyone is at work or school. Use these set points often and maintain them at least eight hours at a time.
- Use as many as you need: It is probably not reasonable to expect one thermostat to keep your entire house comfortable all season long. If you have a home with many areas that need temperature control, such as a large ranch-style or two-story house, install more than one programmable thermostat.
- Don’t crank temperatures up or down: Abruptly slamming temperature settings very high or low will not heat or cool your home faster. Let your programmable thermostat do its job by sensing interior temperatures and gradually raising or lowering your home’s temperature.
- Keep an eye on the batteries: Many programmable thermostats are battery powered. Watch for the battery-change warning if the thermostat has one and regularly install new batteries.
- Avoid using manual overrides: Programmable thermostats usually let you override pre-set temperatures to temporarily increase heating or cooling levels. Use these overrides sparingly. They increase your energy costs and eliminate the advantages of having a programmable thermostat.
For answers to your questions about programmable thermostat practices and how they can help you save money, contact the professionals at Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal. We have been serving customers in northwest Arkansas for more than 40 years. We offer a full range of heating and air conditioning sales and service by NATE-certified technicians and experienced HVAC specialists.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal services Northwest Arkansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Thermostat photo via Shutterstock