As the weather keeps getting warmer, now is the time to tend to your air conditioner and prepare it for summer. A few simple chores will cut your energy costs, prolong the life of your cooling system and keep your family comfortable:
- Clean the filters: Filters frequently become dirty or blocked when the air conditioner is running continuously. Check the filter, clean it with a mild detergent or replace it if it is old or torn.
- Condenser drain: Examine the drain for blockages. Dirt and dust clog the drain; the excess moisture cannot be removed from the air in your home, which causes humidity to increase in your rooms.
- Condenser coils: The coils are located outside the home and exposed to nature. Leaves, dirt, dead insects and spider webs will accumulate around the coils, hinder the release of heat from the condenser and force your system to work harder. Carefully clean any debris found around the coils.
If you never performed maintenance on your unit and are unsure what to do, contact a professional technician for a comprehensive examination of your cooling system. Preventive maintenance will fix most problems before they become bigger concerns. A certified technician will examine additional areas including:
- Refrigerant: The levels evaluated and adjusted to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Evaporator coils: Excess dirt or dust removed from the coils.
- Duct leakage: Leaks will be located in the ducts and repaired.
- Coil fins: Collected dust removed and bends in the fins repaired.
- Electrical components: Corrosion and loose wires fixed.
For more information on maintaining your air conditioner or annual service maintenance on your system, contact the trained energy specialists at Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal. We have served all of northwest Arkansas and the surrounding communities for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.