Heating season will soon be in full swing in Northwest Arkansas, and if you haven’t yet scheduled annual service for your HVAC system, it’s time to pick up the phone and make an appointment for a tune-up with a qualified HVAC professional. Annual preventive maintenance on your system will extend its life, and ensure that your furnace operates safely and efficiently all winter long. A comprehensive check of your system should include the following key tasks:
- Tighten electrical and gas connections to eliminate fire hazards.
- Lubricate the moving parts of the system to prevent friction and lower your electricity bills.
- Measure the voltage and current on the motor for efficiency.
- Check the system controls to ensure your furnace cycles properly.
- Check the burner combustion and gas pressure for safe operation.
- Check the blower assembly, flue, vent and caps for air flow and efficiency.
- Test for carbon monoxide leaks.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy to keep you warmer and your energy bills lower.
Between annual service calls, there are several things you can do to keep your system efficient and safe.
- Stock up on furnace filters and inspect your filter every month, changing when dirty. A dirty filter impedes the flow of air to your furnace, making it work harder to keep you warm. It also poses the risk of overheating, which can damage your system and result in expensive repair bills.
- Check your ducts for loose connections and seal any leaks with metal tape or mastic sealant.
- Maintain the area around your furnace to keep it free of dust and debris.
- Store flammable materials at least 15 feet away from your furnace, and preferably in a different room altogether.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans (to clockwise) to help circulate the warm air throughout the room. Don’t forget to change it back in the spring.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries on a regular schedule.
- Keep your gas shutoff valve accessible in case of an emergency.
Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal has served Northwest Arkansas for more than 40 years. For more information about annual service calls, or to schedule preventive maintenance on your system, please contact us today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Northwest Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about annual service calls and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock