Winter is in full swing in Northwest Arkansas, and homeowners across the region are searching for ways to boost home energy efficiency this heating season without sacrificing comfort. Try these easy projects to save money while staying warm this winter.
Maintain your HVAC system
- Schedule a preventive furnace tune-up with a qualified HVAC professional. Annual maintenance on your system is crucial to extending its life and keeping it operating safely and efficiently, and will save you money on energy costs. Your service technician will perform a comprehensive tune-up including tightening gas and electrical connections, lubricating the moving parts, and checking your thermostat for accuracy.
- Inspect your furnace filter every month and change as necessary. A dirty filter impedes the flow of air to your furnace, making it work harder to keep you warm and posing the risk of overheating, which may result in costly repairs.
- Check your ducts for loose connections and repair them with metal tape or mastic.
Seal air leaks
- Replace your window screens with storm windows.
- Apply caulk and weatherstripping to cracks and gaps on doors and windows.
- Seal pipes and vents with caulk where they penetrate exterior walls.
- Install pre-cut foam gaskets behind switch plates on exterior walls.
- Insulate the water pipes on your water heater and wrap an insulating blanket around the tank to save on hot water heating costs.
- Check for adequate attic insulation. Fiberglass insulation should be 11 inches thick and loose fill should be 8 inches deep.
- Insulate your ducts as far as you can reach, especially in unconditioned areas such as crawl spaces.
Mind your thermostat
- Turn down your thermostat 10 degrees lower than normal at night and while you’re away.
- Install a programmable thermostat to help manage efficient heating 24 hours a day.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans (to clockwise) to push warm air down, keeping you warmer at lower thermostat settings.
Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal serves Northwest Arkansas with honesty and integrity. For more expert advice about how to boost home energy efficiency, please feel free to contact us.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Northwest Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy efficiency and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock