As temperatures climb in Northwest Arkansas, it’s time to get things in order with your cooling system. If your A/C has been underperforming, is over 12 years old, or has been costing an arm and a leg for repairs, upgrading to a newer, more efficient air conditioner may be in order. Just as important as the unit you select is hiring the right contractor for A/C installation. Here’s a checklist to get you started.
- Get referrals. Take advantage of the experiences of family, friends and neighbors by asking them if they know of a contractor they would recommend.
- Ask for references. A true professional will be happy to provide you with several recent, local references. Follow up by calling each one and inquiring about their level of satisfaction with items such as customer service, professionalism and skill.
- Insist on an in-home written estimate. Avoid any contractor who wants to provide you with an estimate over the phone. It’s imperative that your home be inspected and properly sized for any new equipment to ensure maximum comfort and efficiency.
- Verify licensing and insurance. Check the Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board website to ensure your contractor has a valid license before hiring. Ask to see documentation verifying the contractor has current insurance, to protect all parties.
- Check credentials. Is the contractor NATE certified? Are they a member in good standing of the Better Business Bureau? Both are indicators of highly qualified, reliable contractors.
- Inquire about permits. Find out if the contractor will be pulling the required permits.
- What about a warranty? Insist on a written warranty and make sure that what is and isn’t covered is clear.
- Consider a long term commitment. Ask about any additional services offered, such as preventive maintenance or a service club, to help keep your equipment in top working order from year to year.
Finding the right contractor for A/C installation requires some time and research. Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal can satisfy all the items on your checklist, and have been providing quality service to homeowners in Northwest Arkansas and the surrounding area for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Northwest Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C installation and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock