Whether your furnace is on its last leg, or you’re tired of high energy bills, replacing your old unit with a newer high-efficiency one is a decision you won’t regret. Before you choose your new furnace, here’s a list of questions you’ll want to ask your contractor.
- How long has this particular model been around and how long have they been installing it? Invest in a furnace and a contractor that have been on the market or in business long enough to have gained a solid reputation.
- Do they have references? When shopping for a new furnace, questions regarding the qualifications and reliability of the contractor are as important as the unit itself. Insist on at least three recent, local references and call each with your prepared list of questions and concerns.
- How will they protect the furnace from potential flood damage? Determine if the contractor will be raising the unit on a concrete pad or bricks as a preventive measure.
- What method did they use to size the furnace? Find out if the contractor will perform a Manual J calculation, the industry standard to calculate the heating load of your home, which is a necessary step in the sizing process.
- What efficiency rating will the new furnace have? The furnace’s AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) will play a major role in its purchase price, its long-term operating costs and your home comfort. Make sure your contractor explains your options.
- Where will the furnace be vented? If the unit is to be vented through a sidewall, find out where and ask how it will look. If an alternate location is preferable, discuss this prior to installation.
- Will they need to modify your ductwork? Your existing ductwork may not be suited to handle the increased airflow from the new furnace; questions about the price of modifications can help you make a more informed decision.
- What are the details of the warranty? Find out the length of your warranty and what is covered regarding parts and labor.
When it comes time for a new furnace, questions about the unit, the contractor and the scope of the project can help you make the right choices. Give us a call at Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal; our knowledgeable staff can answer all your questions and are proud to serve residents of northwest Arkansas.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Springdale, Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnaces and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock