Upgrading to the latest HVAC technology can enable you to be more comfortable and save more money. One of the most recent innovations is the tankless water heater, which reduces energy waste in most homes.
How Tankless Heaters Work
Tankless heaters solve the problems that standard tank storage heaters have always had. Having to continuously keep a large reservoir of water heated is a waste of space and energy. A tankless unit connects right onto the water line near a main water outlet and will heat water on the go as needed.
They heat the water quickly by using some sort of fuel. You typically have the choice of natural gas, electricity or propane. An HVAC professional will be able to help you decide which is the most practical for your home.
Why Go Tankless?
There are several benefits of this new type of heater:
1. Longetivity: While they cost more upfront, tankless water heaters lasts longer than storage tank units; up to 10 years longer.
2. No delay: Since the heater is installed close to the point-of-use, you can get hot water almost immediately.
3. Capacity: The reason no storage tank is needed is because these heaters can continuously heat water for as long as you need it.
4. Efficiency: There’s no wasted heat when you’re not using hot water, which can lead to significant energy savings.
5. No bulk: Instead of having a giant heater, tankless water heaters are small and typically fit under counters or in cabinets.
If you have a particularly large home, a tankless heater may not be appropriate, or you may need to install more than one. Ask a local HVAC contractor for help determining if your Northwest Arkansas home could benefit from going tankless. You can contact Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal for expert advice and assistance.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Springdale, Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about tankless water heaters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock