Tips on How to Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide PoisoningIf your home in Northwest Arkansas has any natural gas, propane or fuel-oil burning appliances, you must always be aware of the possibility of carbon monoxide gas entering your home. With the following tips you can familiarize yourself with the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and take action to protect your family from its effects:

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an invisible gas that is both odorless and tasteless. It is produced during the combustion process, when the fuel is not completely burned, and it is commonly produced in small amounts by many appliances, including furnaces, stoves and water heaters. When an appliance is not operating or vented properly, however, the amounts of carbon monoxide in the air can become dangerous.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Initially, anyone exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide may feel dizzy, nauseous, sleepy, or may have trouble breathing. If exposure continues, the symptoms of carbon monoxide posting may include vomiting, loss of muscle control, confusion, and, eventually, unconsciousness or death.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

  • Appliance Inspection: Have all of your appliances inspected at least once a year if they burn fuel. Make sure the contractor cleans and adjusts the burners to prevent excessive carbon monoxide buildup.
  • Appliance Maintenance: Keep your fuel-burning appliances in good working order. At least once a year have a contractor perform routine maintenance on the appliance to keep it running correctly, preventing problems with carbon monoxide and increasing the lifespan of the appliance.
  • Proper Ventilation: Do not use outdoor power equipment, such as generators, indoors, and do not idle your car in an attached garage. Do not use cooking or heating appliances designed for outdoor use inside the home. Keep appliance flues clean and free of blockages.
  • Detection: Install at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home, preferably with one outside of each sleeping area, test them regularly and replace the batteries as needed.

For more information about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, contact our professionals at Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal. We have been serving Springdale and Northwest Arkansas since 1968.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in Springdale, Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).  For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock