Along with the more comfortable temperatures of fall, the new season also brings an increase in allergies. If you want to keep allergies away, we suggest that you start by following these tips:
- Vacuum with a HEPA filter — Make sure to use a vacuum cleaner equipped with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. This is an effective way to remove allergy-inducing contaminants from your air.
- Replace your carpet — Every time we walk across our carpet, contaminants that have become embedded into the fibers are released into our home’s air. Replacing the carpet with laminate flooring or tile, both of which are much easier to care for, will greatly reduce the amount of pollutants that remain in your home.
- Change your HVAC filter — Air filters are meant to capture contaminants as they pass through your HVAC system. When they become clogged up, their effectiveness is largely diminished. You should change the air filter every month or so, as it becomes dirty.
- Focus on your pets — Dogs and cats are notorious for irritating a person’s allergies. Since you obviously can’t get rid of your family pets, you must learn to lessen their impact on your symptoms. One way to do is this by grooming the animals on a regular basis. Another technique is to keep the pets out of your bedroom, where you may be breathing in hair fibers and dander for eight hours a day.
- Service your HVAC system — Hiring a professional technician to perform a tune-up of your system will keep it running smoothly, preventing any problems that may be contributing to your allergies.
- Figure out what you’re allergic to — If you want to avoid substances that your body is prone to, you need to visit a doctor and seek advice. An allergist can administer a skin-prick test and monitor negative reactions.
For more expert advice on techniques to keep allergies away, or if you have any other concerns related to home comfort, please don’t hesitate to contact the friendly professionals at Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of Northwest Arkansas for more than 45 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Springdale, Arkansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergies and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “stockyimages/Shutterstock”