Is your air conditioner working efficiently? Maybe you have some rooms that feel too cold and others that feel too hot in the summer. If so, here are 10 air conditioner tips for home comfort:
1. Clean A/C Unit: Trim and remove leaves, weeds and grass around the outside of your air conditioning unit. Debris can compromise the mechanical functioning of the unit and keep the fan from turning.
2. Seal Ducts: Use metal tape or mastic sealant to seal any air leaks in your duct system. Also, check for leaks where the A/C registers meet floors, walls, and ceilings
3. Insulate: Are your ducts insulated? If not, you can prevent the cool air from leaking by using foil backed, self-adhesive foam or insulating duct sleeves.
4. Check Vents: Cool air can’t get into your rooms if the vents are blocked by drapes or furniture. It’s also important to make sure the vents are clean.
5. Replace Air Filter: Inspect your air filter every month. A dirty filter reduces your air conditioner’s air flow efficiency, so be sure to replace your filter at least every 3 months.
6. Limit Oven and Dryer Use: Appliances that produce heat raise your home temperature. Use an outside grill or stove more often and dry clothes in the evening to improve cooling efficiency in your home.
7. Use Drapes: Closing the drapes on windows that are letting in heat can help keep your home cooler.
8. Dehumidifier: Using a dehumidifier can help your home feel more comfortable because dehumidifiers work to reduce humidity. They work best at 70 degrees or higher.
9. Thermostat Check: Be sure your thermostat is working properly. First, make sure you know how to program your thermostat. Also, consider installing a smart thermostat, as you can keep track of your home’s temperature while you’re away.
10. HVAC Check-up: At least once a year, have your air conditioner inspected by an HVAC professional.
Your air conditioning expert can also suggest other ways to increase your HVAC efficiency. Using these 10 tips will ensure that your A/C system will keep your home cool and comfortable. For help in keeping your air conditioner in prime shape, contact the professionals at Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal. We’ve been serving the area for over 45 years, and we specialize in high-efficiency air conditioning.