What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO), is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death, also known as the “Silent Killer.” It can’t be seen, it can’t be smelled, it can’t be heard, but it CAN be stopped. Carbon Monoxide causes an average of 430 deaths per year in the United States, alone. CO is produced any time a fossil fuel is burned, your furnace is a fuel-burning appliance, and it’s important to know what can possibly go wrong. 

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning are: headaches, nausea/vomiting, breathlessness, dizziness, confusion, erratic behavior, general lethargy and loss of consciousness. Do not confuse these symptoms with the flu virus!

What You Can Do

DO schedule your annual furnace tune up. The best way to avoid carbon monoxide leaks is to have your furnace tuned up and heat exchanger examined for any signs of cracking.

DO keep your air filters clean. Leaks are more likely to happen when your furnace has airflow issues; change your air filters regularly to avoid a system slow down.

DO seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.

DO install battery-operated CO detectors in your home and check or replace the batteries twice per year. If the detector sounds leave your home IMMEDIATELY and call 911.

A safety inspection and furnace tune up is a valuable investment for your home heating system and peace of mind. The Paschal team can work to help your system run safer and in a more cost-effective manner. Invest in our simple, routine maintenance today!

Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal, serving the Northwest Arkansas area for 50 years. The Ones You Can Trust.